Where is he now?
Ben Jones, 2022 VFC Fellow, and 2022 RBC Award Winner.
Where are you now and what’s your current position?
- In the last year, I have been able to progress in my position. The last time, we spoke I had just started working at BUGGY as a Brands Lead. During this time I was exposed to new skillsets and new roles which developed me into my current position as Director of Partnerships and Business Development
What skills or knowledge did you learn throughout the program that you found most useful in your career?
- Learning about progressing onto the next steps and places in your role. The Fellowship program taught me how to design the role I wanted, around what I like and am strong at.
What are you most proud of from the fellowship experience?
- The people I met, and the connection I was able to make. You can learn how to be a product manager anywhere on the web, but the connections you make are the most unique part of the experience. It also pushed me out of my comfort zone of meeting new people, and even living with them for three weeks.
Based on what you know now and have experienced, would you pick the same career path?
- I can only focus on what I can do tomorrow and the rest of my future. So I wouldn’t change anything, as I’ve progressed in areas I was never exposed to and am now interested in.
- However, one thing I would tell someone younger than me reading this is, to be willing to job hop, don’t feel like you have to work at your first job for many years. I would suggest starting something – you’ll learn what you don’t want to do, and don’t worry about the things do want to do.